Hey everyone. I am reaching out to people who are on Celexa. I was taking 40 mg per day. My doctor is now decreasing my dosage to 20 mg per day and then I will go down to 10mg in about a week. I also currently take Wellbutrin SR.
I can't remember the amount but is a pretty normal dosage. I have been on antidepressants since I was 19 years old. I am now in my early 30's. The catalyst for going off of Celexa was first of all, weight, I have been taking Celexa for 3 years now and I have gained 30 pounds since then. Also, I eventually want to have children and I cannot be on Celexa during the first trimester of pregnance. I was very happy on Celexa and felt like myself. If I had to choose between gaining weight and being happy. I was however, unhappy about my weight. I started taking Paxil at 19, then switched to Zoloft, Lexapro and then Celexa. I was wondering if anyone is currently in the same boat as me (taking Celexa and Wellbutrin) and going off of Celexa with the hope they can be completely off of it shortly. It has been about a week and so far I feel now change. My doctor said as long as you go off slowly, you won't experience really bad withdrawals. If I don't take Celexa for 1 or 2 days, I get shivers, headaches and lightning in my head (sorry that is the only way I can describe it). I would love to speak to other people who are going through this journey from being on these medications to completely being off of them. One other issue. Thanks for listening and good luck to everyone. One other thing, don't decide to not to go on a drug just because you will gain weight. Your mental health is so much more important and if you are in crisis you need medication until you learn to change the tapes inside your head. Also, your medication will not kick in for about four weeks. It is very hard to wait (believe me) but you will get better and don't give up on taking it. Make sure to take good care of yourself. I would recommend cognitive therapy, lots of excercise and surrounding yourself with people who love you in addition to the medication. Hold on and you will be okay. I am always here to talk to people too if you need support because I have been through it.