Hello, I'm starting on Zoloft, can anyone give me any headups on this medication? Thank you?

Rajive Goel 1 Nov 2011

Zoloft is commonly used to treat depression, panic disorder, social anxiety disorder, and other conditions. It belongs to a class of drugs called selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs). The medication works by balancing serotonin levels in the brain, which often helps with symptoms of depression and similar conditions. Common side effects of Zoloft include dry mouth, insomnia, and nausea.

Take care, best wishes!

rawboots 1 Nov 2011

Scrubjay
Its a good med. It has helped me greatly for the past three years. However like any depression meds side effects, the sexual one, yeah, there lack of, that exists or should I say, doesnt exist. You have to decide whats more important in your getting better. Wellbutrin is the ONLY med with the least sexual side effects but I took that for a few years with no results as everyone reacts different to all meds. Zoloft, brand name,(sertraline) generic name is what ive been on for three years. My dose is 125mg. Some are up to 300. Give it a try. Give it three to four weeks to dissolve into the system. You should start noticing the anxiety levels lessening. As you take it your body gets used to it, notify the doc and he/she can up the dose. I take mine at bedtime with klonopin. Helps with the sleep : )
Take care
Rawboots

ScrubJay 7 Nov 2011

Hi Rawboots, I`m starting on 50 mg. at bedtime, and I see my doctor in 3 weeks just started it Nov.1 I was on Viibryd way to expensive for me, thank you for answering.

Anonymous 1 Nov 2011

Hello ScrubJay. Just to add to what rawboots and Rajive said. I was on zoloft for several years. Simply put, insomnia was a big culprit. Being an insomniac to begin with, being on a drug that helps create insomnia, I stopped taking it, short turn pain and no long term gains. There are other side effects, as you now know, and most are common, and dissapear on there own. Its generally a well tolerated drug and most people have good, positives to say about it. Once on it, and you plan to stop taking it, you'll need to taper off from it, other wise, you'll find yourself going through some unpleasant withdrawl symptons.best to you.

bzeis1108 3 Nov 2011

Zoloft is a great med. I took it for 5 years and the only side effect that I has was sexual disfunction and the lack of desire to do so. Not once while I was on it did I have any problems with anxiety or depression. The only reason I stopped taking it is because I am wanting to have a baby and I am hearing it is not safe to take while pregnant. Best of luck.