Headache - how can I get imitrex cheaper? Medicare will only cover 9 monthly. How can I get more?

kaismama 13 Oct 2012

So medicare has decided you can only have a few headaches a month, lol..you can contact Glaxo, the manufacturer or you can try web sites like freedrugs.com or partnership for prescription assistance. Here's a website for you to check out help at glaxo. us.gsk.com/html/healthcare/healthcare-our-programs.html

Lisa01 13 Oct 2012

There is a generic form of imitrex called Sumatriptan. It comes in the same various forms that imitrex comes in. Perhaps your medicare will allow you more of the genetic version. I use the imitrex nasal spray and my insurance will only allow me six a month so I definitely understand what you're going through. At any rate, it should be worth checking out. I hope this helps some.
Lisa

kaismama 13 Oct 2012

I missed that one, didn't know there was a generic. I looked it up to see if my medicare pays for that, and what I got was a ? guess they haven't thought about it yet. The price on it isn't alot better then the brand name though.

Lisa01 13 Oct 2012

My insurance will only allow me six of the generic one too. I was just hoping that she might get a little more leniency than I get! I'd rather have the imitrex myself, but using the sumtriptan saves me a little on my co-pay. It's kind of a darned if you do and darned if you don't situation! We're always juggling aren't we? :)
Lisa

Lisa01 13 Oct 2012

Lisa

endlessPred 13 Oct 2012

FYI. When Medicare restricts a med purchase you can ask the doctor to write a letter to ask for additional approval as an appeal.

Two of my meds are that way. Medicare does pay for them. I don't know what kind of expense you are talking about but the out of pocket would be more than $2500 per month without the appeal for me. Perhaps you can check this option out.

The only problem with getting from the manufacturer is you may violate Medicare rules. Call Medicare to see what you need to appeal.

kaismama 13 Oct 2012

According to drugstore.com brand is $250 for 9 and generic is $199 for 9.

endlessPred 13 Oct 2012

Best to ask your doctor to do the prior auth or an appeal.