Has anyone used trazadone for severe anxiety and panic?

Minnieme 13 Aug 2010

Hi,
My Pdoc started me on this med a while back after trying Paxil and Buspar for the anxiety induced insomnia I have been experiencing for years. Worked for me, after a gradual step up from 50 mg to 150 mg within a few months.
I can tell the med works for what I have going on. Sleeping patterns are normal and I don't have the PTSD anxiety coming on like it has in the past.
It's not a benzo though, I tried taking it during the day when I first started and it just made me sleepy opposed to reducing the anxiety. Best bet is to talk to your doc about different meds to try and go from there.

Anonymous 13 Aug 2010

Good help.

I take klonopin 8mg through out the day for a long time plus many more meds which interact among them.

I am 41--- manic depressive (OCD; PTSD;anxiety attacks(very srtong),panic attacks insomnia, etc.)

Of course I am being treated, and I am productive individual, I work, have a social life, train... etc.

Now with regards to klonopin, it does not have the same effect as it did on you, with me.-

You must take into account that not all organisms are alike, and do not react in the same way, meaning benefits, side effects and withdrawls.-

Take care

Anonymous 13 Aug 2010

Hi

Trazadone treats:

Depression is more than just "feeling sad." Common symptoms of depression include:

Changes in sleep (sleeping too much or not enough)
Eating too much or too little (and weight gain or weight loss)
Having little interest in things that you used to enjoy
Physical pain
Feeling hopeless or worthless
Suicidal thoughts.

So no it will not help with your anxiety... sorry.-

The following medications treat anxiety and panic attacks.-

May I suggest:

Benzodiazepines, but they are very addictive

Alprazolam (Xanax)
Chlordiazepoxide (Librium)
Clonazepam (Klonopin)
Diazepam (Valium)
Lorazepam (Ativan)

Also:

Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors or serotonin-specific reuptake inhibitor (SSRIs) are a class of compounds typically used as antidepressants in the treatment of depression, anxiety disorders, and some personality disorders. SSRIs are primarily classified as antidepressants and typically higher dosages are required to be effective against anxiety disorders than to be effective against depression but nevertheless most SSRIs have anxiolytic properties.

Citalopram (Celexa)
Escitalopram (Lexapro, Cipralex)
Fluoxetine (Prozac)
Fluvoxamine (Luvox)
Paroxetine (Paxil)
Sertraline (Zoloft)

Consult with your Doctor.

Take care, have a good weekend

Anonymous 14 Aug 2010

maso, I agree with you, Benzo's are great for anxiety! But, alas, they are, as you said addictive.
sweetlemon

Anonymous 14 Aug 2010

You are most certainly correct darling.-