Has anyone used L-theanine for a cat? if so, what dosage did you give? thanks?

want2Bmedless 4 Dec 2010

Hi Calico!

I am assuming you would like to give it to your cat to keep him/her calm? I would definitely NOT try it without speaking with a veterinarian first. I think animals (tho' we love them like they are our babies and children) are still animals and some things humans take are potentially lethal to the our furry friends. Animals metabolize things differently. When a doctor prescribes something, they take many things into consideration... age, body weight, medical history, allergies... I know veterinarians are expensive $$$$ and you have the best of intentions... I have heard of people giving gravol to their dogs for travelling and motion sickness... but who knows for sure what the risks of doing that are. My 2 indoor cats get extremely stressed when going to the vet... their little hearts beat SO fast and I worry one of them will have a heart attack sometimes. I took them on a 2 hour flight with me before and my vet prescribed a mild tranquilizer for them... I cannot remember the name of the med prescribed, but, I know for a fact it was nothing I have ever seen prescribed to a human person. (I work in the pharmaceutical field) Please do more research and perhaps go to the Vet... or, perhaps you know a naturopath... Is there a Compounding Pharmacy near you? Most compounding pharmacies make medications for pets as well as humans... they can add tuna or liver flavoring to meds that make the taste of them more appealing to an animal. The pharmacists that work at a pharmacy like that may know or in the very least, may be able to look it up for you:)

calicogabe 4 Dec 2010

Thanks for the quick response! Yes, I have a very good vet and I have asked him to check it out for me. The problem with this cat (I have 6 cats) is that he has developed a nasty habit of spraying -- not too bad yet, but I don't want it to get beyond help. No cystitis and no recurrence of the stones he had several years ago. Dr. C (Bill) put him on 10 mg of amtriptyline for 14 days. I am not too sure I want him on that for very long. That is why I asked Bill to check out the l-theanine, which is actually what is in green tea and is a water soluble amino acid in green tea and is an immune booster too. A friend of mine's dog is now on l-theanine and it has calmed her down considerably.

want2Bmedless 4 Dec 2010

I had a roommate who had a young kitten that was "in heat" before she could get her "fixed" and I remember distinctly that the vet put the poor little thing on Valium because she would be up "meowing" all night and keeping us all awake. I think the poor kitten was prescribed a high dose though because after "pilling" her, she would just sit there stoned... huge pupils... she walked around running into walls like she was drunk... she did not seem very happy about it... so, perhaps a very low dose of Valium (diazepam) could be tolerated?