Does gynecomastia caused by spironolactone go away when patient stops taking the drug?

Marvell 17 Jun 2013

If the gynecomastia is due to taking spironolactone then yes, it should resolve once you stop taking the medicine.

Clunker 2 Jul 2013

Thank you Marvel. There is new, golf-ball sized hard tissue and soreness, and, for me, a whole new issue to make this condition go away. I have quit spironolactone. I will wait 3 months or so to see whether the breast issues will resolve. Many thanks. Clunker

Marvell 2 Jul 2013

If you have a lump of any kind I recommend that you should get it seen by your doctor, if you haven't done so already. All the best.

DrDonovan 11 Jan 2015

Gynecomastia often goes away with stopping the drug - but not always.

Breast enlargement with anti-androgens should be brought to the attention of the health care team at the first instance it is notes for a decision as to how to proceed.

It does not always return to normal.

Jeff Donovan MD PhD FRCPC FAAD
US & Canadian board-certified Dermatologist
Toronto, Canada

Clunker 13 Jan 2015

My experience was the abnormal hard tissue that formed on each breast following the prescribed increase to 100 mg of Spironolactone did not diminish and required a a double mastectomy to remove the lumps, which thankfully turned out to be benign. Disfigurement is not as obvious now when I wear a polo shirt, but my chest is still somewhat disfigured as it apparently is "tethering" to the rope like- scars left beneath each breast from the operation. I guess that is considered a different problem.