Guanafacine oral for Adult ADHD/Intuniv?

JohnySmith 14 Apr 2010

Guanafacine is not used to treat ADHD, it is indicated for high blood pressure

natty bumpo 14 Jun 2010

But in the past was frequently prescribed "off label" to address troublesome ADHD traits (especially hyperactivity and behavior issues), usually in conjunction with another ADHD med.

Last fall, the FDA approved Shire Company's "Intunive" (guanafacine) for kids aged 6-17. It's not a stimulant, therefore, no Schedule II hassles.

I'm sure that Shire is seeking FDA approval for its use with adults with ADHD. Even if that hasn't happened yet, I a number of doctors will still prescribe it to their adult patients... after all, Adderall wasn't approved for adults until years after it had become a staple med prescribed for adult patients with ADHD.

Sideffects2 31 Oct 2010

Yes Natty that's what I was reading too. It's only a matter of time before Shire comes up with an Adult version. Have you heard of Clonidine? It's also used off label for ADHD adult. I wonder if its effective.I wonder which one is less damaging. This is a catch 22. Have you any info on that one? Thank you for answering.

natty bumpo 31 Oct 2010

hi side effects... go online and Google "clonidine guanfacine" for all sorts of hits describing and comparing the two. The following article measured and compared a couple of the side effects (on a small number of health young males) caused by both and found that they were less pronounced with guanfacine:

Central effects of guanfacine and clonidine during wakefulness and sleep in healthy subjects
R. Spiegel and J. E. Devos

Abstract
1 Three double-blind studies in young normotensive male volunteers were carried out: a study in ten awake subjects, comparing guanfacine 2.0 and 4.0 mg with clonidine 0.15 and 0.30 mg and placebo; and two polygraphic sleep studies each with six subjects, comparing guanfacine 1.0 and 2.0 mg with placebo, and clonidine 0.15 and 0.30 mg with placebo, respectively.