I'm writing this to help people who are searching the Internet to find examples of good experience with either name brand Lexapro or generic escitalopram.

I took name brand Lexapro from April 2005 through May 2009 (4 years).

I tapered off Lexapro summer 2009 and went without it for 6 months.

Then I took name brand Lexapro and generic escitalopram from January 2010 through April 2013 (3 years).

Now I'm tapering off it again.

Good experiences both times while taking Lexapro or generic escitalopram: they absolutely eliminated my depression symptoms.

Both times, it took 6 weeks for the medicine to take full effect.

I felt happy and more like my true self. Both times I started, I did have side effects: heart palpitations and racing heart, very mild brain zaps. These side effects went away.

The first time I took this medication was for general depression. The second time was for specific depression due to a relationship breakup.

The second time I took it, I started with name brand Lexapro then switched to generic escitalopram. For me there was no difference.

In my opinion based on what good doctors say, a person can stay or Lexapro or other anti-depressants their whole lives if that's what their body needs. It's similar to someone who requires medications for high blood pressure, diabetes, high cholestrol, or any other chronic illness.

Also in my opinion based on what good doctors say, a person might only need Lexapro or other anti-depressants short-term because of some stress or trauma they're experiencing.

Don't be afraid to start Lexapro or escitalopram if your doctor recommends it. Just notice whether the med makes you feel better, and notice how big or small your side effects are, and adjust from there.

Don't be afraid to stay on Lex or esc for a long time if that's what you need.

Don't be afraid to taper off and quit Lex or esc if you no longer need them or the side effects are too extreme for you. Taper slowly.

April 2005 through May 2009 was name brand Lexapro 10 mg tablet daily every morning.

Summer 2009 taper off was name brand Lexapro start at 10 mg tablet daily every morning, then 7.5 mg (3/4 of tablet) daily every morning for two weeks, then 5 mg (1/2 of tablet) daily every morning for two weeks, then 2.5 mg (1/4 of tablet) every morning for two weeks then none. Literally no problems and no side effects.

January 2010 through April 2013 (3 years) was name brand Lexapro 20 mg tablet daily every morning for about 2 years, then generic escitalopram 20 mg tablet daily every morning for about 1 year.

Current taper off was generic escitalopram start at 20 mg tablet daily every morning, then 15 mg (3/4 of tablet) daily every morning for two weeks, then 10 mg (1/2 of tablet) daily every morning for 12 weeks (not sure why I stayed at 10 mg so long, that's just the way it was) and now 5 mg (1/4 of tablest) for a week so far. It will be 5 mg for two weeks, then 2.5 mg for two weeks

This post was more about USING Lex and esc. Please see my other post specifically about TAPER OFF.

https://www.drugs.com/answers/ask/