Can gerd feel like a heart attack in different parts of your body,ei.back,stomach,chest?

AquariusAnneCA 12 Dec 2012

Yes, BooBoo, Gerd definitely can feel like a heart attack. Pain in chest and back and up the arms and in the jaw! I know, cause it happened to me many years ago and then again two weeks ago. You must go to a Gastro doctor to confirm this. Also a cardiologist will give you tests to rule out it is your heart. You must not "assume" that those pains are from Gerd even though you can have those very pains you describe. A heart attack can also have the same symptoms. Rule it out with the two type doctors I mentioned.
Good luck to you!
AquariusAnneCA

booboo08056 12 Dec 2012

Thank you AquariusAnneCA,its actually my husband.He has been to the cardiologist, had a nuclear stress test,catherization,pet and cat scans,process of elimination, this is what they think.Just asking cos its crazy not to be able to define this,with all this modern techniques crap.LOL thanks again.BooBoo.

AquariusAnneCA 12 Dec 2012

Hi again Booboo, what happens that causes the horrible pain is this... in my case anyhow, if I eat too much, too fast and too much is not a whole lot... such as a cup of soup and a nice sized bowl of salad with a piece of french bread, then this is overload for me. What happens is part of my stomach will go into the passage that leads to the esophagus due to the fact that when you have GERD, the muscle that opens and closes the sphincter has weakened thus causing this problem. This is the pain that I get in my chest from the pressure of the stomach being pushed up where it should not be... there are many articles online and I go to google to a reputable website to get this information... I know I cannot eat certain foods that are acid relate or not eat at least an hour or so before I lay my head down... also, be sure his head is elevated. There is so much more to all of this but researching it is great so that you will know what to ask the doctor.

booboo08056 12 Dec 2012

Thank you for all your info.I will research this now.Have a Merry Christmas.