I take the generic prozac...just started yesterday. Is this going to react like the regular prozac?

LaurieShay 25 Feb 2012

Yes, they are the same active ingredient. Shouldn't have any difference in response. You may experience some mild side effects in the beginning but has nothing to do with it being generic. It can take upto 4 weeks to reach maximum effectiveness so be patient.

bocs 25 Feb 2012

Laurie...
Thank you so much for the answer. I have read so many negative things about the generic that I was getting concerned which added to the already overload of anxiety! Do you know if getting off of this medicine will be a bad experience? This too has worried me as I sure don't want to get hooked and can't get off of it when the time comes. Many thanks to you. Bocs

LaurieShay 27 Feb 2012

Hey Bocs, Prozac is relatively easy to get off of when the time comes. You just slowly taper off over time. Because it has what is called a long half life, it is one of the easier antidepressants to discontinue.

bocs 27 Feb 2012

Laurie...
Thanks for giving me some relief. I didn't want to have to go to rehab just to get off of this stuff!! Hopefully I will be able to quit using it before long... that is the plan. Thanks again... bocs