Is. Generic prozac as good as the non generic?

suzanne66 18 Sep 2012

The short answer is "it should be" but in reality some people would disagree. Generic drugs use the same active ingredients as brand-name drugs and work the same way.
Here is an interesting link for you to read about generics.
https://www.drugs.com/generic_drugs.html

Anonymous 18 Sep 2012

In my case no, I was on Prozac by Lilly, Eli and Company, and I have been on Fluoxetine and from my experience they are not the same.

As Suzanne mentioned "it should be"!

Take care,

maso.-

Anonymous 19 Sep 2012

Hi again tryin to get better,

Just in case you can not afford Prozac, the Manufacturer has programs to assist patients:

Eli Lilly and Company,
Lilly Corporate Center
Indianapolis, Indiana 46285
Contact Details
Phone: (317) 276-2000
Website:www.lilly.com/

www.lillytruassist.com/Pages/index.aspx

Lilly Cares
1-800-545-6962

PatientOne
1-866-472-8663

1-855-LLY-TRUE (559-8783)

All the best,

maso.-

MacIntosh12 22 Sep 2012

Great info maso!

Anonymous 22 Sep 2012

Thank you MacIntosh12.-

MacIntosh12 19 Sep 2012

I've had no problems with the generic, and I've had so many different manufacturers of fluoxetine. The generic suits me just fine.
But, as you see, we are all so different, others DO have problems with generic prozac.
Ask your doctor to write it DAW-"draw as written". But, your insurance may not cover the brand name of prozac. You may have to pay out of pocket, and it may be expensive.
Good luck to you

debmauldin 22 Sep 2012

I have taken both and found them to be similar, but different. Unfortunately, my insurance will only pay for the generic.