Generalized Anxiety Disorder - does coffee interact with cymbalta?

Gumdrop11 2 Apr 2011

I would think that any form of caffeine, especially in excess, would not be beneficial with any antidepressant. In my mind, the purpose of an antidepressant is to calm and soothe whereas caffeine is a stimulant. I haven't found any documentation verifying that coffee shouldn't be consumed while taking Cymbalta but I would advise against it if at all possible for the above mentioned reason.

puckiemull 3 Apr 2011

Hi Gumdrop
would the same go for tea aswell then?

Gumdrop11 4 Apr 2011

I think the same thing would go for tea if you were going to drink more than 2 cups a day. The caffeine is just too stimulating.

puckiemull 4 Apr 2011

Hmm that could be a problem for me so as i would drink more than 2 pots never mind 2 cups,sounds crazy but i am addicted to tea

Gumdrop11 4 Apr 2011

I totally understand the addiction to caffeine. I am hyper-sensitive to it so I avoid it altogether. I guess you could try it and see what happens or ask your doctor. I am sure there are hundreds, if not thousands, of people taking Cymbalta who also drink caffeinated tea and/or coffee with no problems.

puckiemull 4 Apr 2011

Thanks for that gumdrop,i was just curious about how tea affects anti d's,i'm not on cymbalta but prozac and xanax just wondered if the tea would effect the workings of the meds

LaurieShay 4 Apr 2011

Hey ciaran,

I think I already answered this question on another post but just in case let me share the interactions again,

caffeine ↔ duloxetine
Applies to: caffeine, Cymbalta (duloxetine)

MONITOR: Coadministration with inhibitors of CYP450 1A2 may increase the plasma concentrations of duloxetine, which is a substrate of the isoenzyme. In 14 male study subjects, coadministration with 100 mg fluvoxamine, a potent CYP450 1A2 inhibitor, resulted in a 2.5-fold increase in duloxetine peak plasma concentration (Cmax), a nearly 6-fold increase in duloxetine systemic exposure (AUC), and an approximately 3-fold increase in duloxetine half-life. The interaction has not been studied with less potent CYP450 1A2 inhibitors such as mexiletine, propafenone, and zileuton. Theoretically, high plasma levels of duloxetine may increase the risk of serious adverse effects such as hypertension, hypertensive crisis, increased heart rate, orthostatic hypotension, syncope, and serotonin syndrome. Serotonin syndrome is a rare but serious and potentially fatal condition thought to result from hyperstimulation of brainstem 5-HT1A and 2A receptors. Symptoms may include mental status changes such as irritability, altered consciousness, confusion, hallucinations, and coma; autonomic dysfunction such as tachycardia, hyperthermia, diaphoresis, shivering, blood pressure lability, and mydriasis; neuromuscular abnormalities such as hyperreflexia, myoclonus, tremor, and ataxia; and gastrointestinal symptoms such as abdominal cramping, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea.

MANAGEMENT: Caution is advised if duloxetine is used in combination with CYP450 1A2 inhibitors. Pharmacologic response to duloxetine should be monitored more closely whenever a CYP450 1A2 inhibitor is added to or withdrawn from therapy, and the dosage adjusted as necessary.

Bottom line is caffeine as in coffee affects the level of Cymbalta in the blood. They adverse effects include hypertension and increased heart rate as well as the possibility of serotonin syndrome. You need to be aware of the adverse effects and if you experience any report to the doctor immediately.

Best wishes,

Laurie