Is gabapentin considered a controlled substance?

masso 26 Jul 2014

It is not subject to the Controlled Substances Act.

kaismama 26 Jul 2014

Its an anti epileptic not anything controlled

Trish Schiesser 26 Jul 2014

I don't know if it is supposed to be a controlled substance - however, I have been
taking Gabapentin 300mg 2 times daily. I have had many cases of clumsiness,
falling (really bad) - I get dizzy and fall and cannot get up - it is uncontrollable.
I am going to delete one 300mg capsule in the morning and take one 300mg at
night - if this does not improve my falling and clumsiness - I will talk with my dermatologist about discontinuing Gabapentin and perhaps take something else.
I wonder if anyone else has a "falling" problem who takes Gabapentin.
Trish

vermaelen 26 Jul 2014

I have actually experience falls and lack of coordination, but that has faded away few months ago. I started taking 400mg 3 times a day and I actually experienced delayed side effect, which was weird.

Trish Schiesser 26 Jul 2014

Thank you for your comment on the answer. Today was the seventh time i have
fallen and it wasn't at home like the rest of the falls. It was in front of my hairdressers. I couldn't get up - I hit my head and ribs and hands which shuffled
some muscles around (hurt!) I also landed on my knee caps which have taken the
brunt of some of my falls. I can't call my Dermatologist today but i will Monday.
My husband said he's afraid of my falls, and he said I should take one 300 mg
capsule at night, and forget about the one during the daytime.
Thank you for your information - I appreciate it and hope you are doing well.
Trish

keishakirby 31 Jul 2014

No...

roostah52 27 Sep 2016

Gabapentin is not a controlled substance but it probably should be because it definitely has more negative side effects than a lot of other medications such as lack of coordination and dizziness and euphoria I can't believe they make tramadol a controlled substance they didn't make Gabapentin a controlled substance I know people that abuse Gabapentin than Tramadol

sandypops1 2 Aug 2014

It's not, but it should be controlled. My doctor prescribed Gabapentin for my nerve pain and I couldn't get out of the bed after taking this drug. It had me completely sedated. Hoping you aren't having the same side effects.

melindarar37 10 Jul 2015

I think it's dangerous I have 4 female friends that take more then theybaer prescribed and now all four are taking sever seizures and going nim 2 on themsleves they can't control the bodily functions but won't stop I have a 12 pg printout that shows gabatine is not to stop or slow down or control seizures its to help with the problems of plp already having them to relive their mucles but they won't list one says that's how they treat hers yet its a know fact theain drug to treat seizures is dilantan as I wasarried to a man that took them or all his life as did his mom and most his aunts and uncles. None had ever been giving gabatine. Plp are abusinethem at the cost of there lives and there self esteem. I wouldn't take anything that made me go potty on myself in the middle of mkdonalds and she has.

Shelly3424 5 Apr 2016

I have been taking gabapentin for a year and a half now for fibromyalgia . It has been very effective and the only side affect has been tiredness mid day.