Is Gabapentin 300mgs. a sedative Hypnotic drug?

Anonymous 6 May 2013

No, Gabapentin is used in the treatment of postherpetic neuralgia; epilepsy; restless legs syndrome; vulvodynia; postmenopausal symptoms , and belongs to the drug class gamma-aminobutyric acid analogs.

Take care,

masso.-

endlessPred 6 May 2013

It is also used for the treatment of shingles and nerve pain in general.

opiaddic2115 6 May 2013

Though i am not sure if its listed as a sedative/hypnotic in took this drug for months for 'pain'&'depression' and found that it relieved neither and had absolutely no sedative or hypnotic effect. Sometimes I took it to help me to sleep but am quite certain it was a placebo effect. It was a waste of money. I'm also fairly sure that it was my doctors way of trying to get me out of his office without feeling as if he'd done nothing. It did start me on the path to more b effective medicines. I found ambien, expensive. This led to klonopin & restoril both of which became little miracles. The whole process took months, but if your doc is compassionate just keep firm with him about what it is you are trying to achieve. You can always find a good Dr. remember, they work for you!

Factfinder411 6 May 2013

No, hypnotic drugs are classified as things ambien, lunesta, Xanax, etc. 2011 they started to include benzos in this catagory don't ask me why.

pickles503 9 May 2013

Hi Kelly. I took 2400 mg for 3yrs and the first night I took it I woke up feeling REAL good. Then that feeling went away and so did the pain. Yes, it does have a sedative effect. I think it's a good med. I'm decreasing it and slowly stopping it because my docs think it's causing memory loss. I'm all for stopping it. Not because it wasn't a great med, but I gained weight, and most of all I want my memory back. We think it's a combination of Gabapentin and Lamictal that's causing memory loss. (what did I just say?) If It's hypnotic, I didn't have that pleasure(not really, Did I just say that? I can't remember) If your trying to find a med to relieve pain and also calm you down, Gabapentin is the med. Talk to your doc. He's the one who knows your history, and if it's right for you.
I pray you find the med that is just right for you.
Love,
Anna

bestpup 9 May 2013

I totally agree with masso. However, I would like to add that Gabapentin/Neurontin is sometimes used to treat nerve pain in the big toe. Also, Gabapentin is not a sedative nor is it a hypnotic drug, instead it's classified as a anticonvulsant.