I had a full hysterectomy 18 mos ago and am on estradiol. How long is it safe to stay on this?

endlessPred 26 Apr 2012

How old are you? Didn't your doctor tell you?

Anonymous 29 Apr 2012

Katgirl, I am sorry to be answering your question so late. I had a complete hysterectomy at the ripe old age of 22. Thankfully, I had 3 children already, & didn't really want anymore. I knew there had to be a reason I had 3 children within 3 yeaars, but at the time was certainly a handful I feel someone was telling me something because of how ill I was with PID & ovarian cysts that bled all the time after my 3rd pregnancy. I was full of infection that wasn't being controlled by antibiotics, & they gave me a 50 % chance of living thru the hysterectomy itself. Heck, I had 3 babies, & I was determined to make it no matter what. It has always beern a struggle getting the hormones regulated. I was on shots of weekly hormones that gave me phlebitis 3 different times. I was told I could never take hormone replacement again. The problem that arises is if you don't use replacment you tend to get very dried out in the vaginal area, & the tissue will become very thin. That makes for very painful intercourse, & the tissue tends to tear very easily. My point being, if they took both of your ovaries, you may have to take replacement the rest of your life. Each time I have tried to go without, I can tear very easily, even after urination while patting dry. I now use the viville dot which is a very low dose of hormone. I used to use the estradiol creams, & they are very effective, but also can be messy. The dot , or patch is suppose to be changed twice a week, but I found I tend to get sore breasts if i do this. I had a talk with my doctor, & he agreed that I could change it once a week or every 10 days if I could handle the inbetween effects which seem nothing at all. This is just my story, but as time goes by you will see what changes are in store for you too. Using hormoe replacment therapy does up chances of breast cancer, but sometimes we just don't have a choice. I do have yearly mamograms just for this reason alone. Just be vigilant about your health & how you feel. Your body wil tell you what you need if you are in tune to it. Just my thoughts, & hope it helps you too...

rae1960 9 Dec 2012

I had a complete hysterectomy when I was 36yrs old, now I am 52 yrs old. It was due to constant irregular bleeding. I also had had two kids. My doctor recommended a full hysterectomy to solve the problem as I did not want to have any more kids. After hysterectomy I felt great my doctor at that point put my on the estrogen patch. I have been on estrogen patch for 16 years and feel great. I get yearly mammograms, exercise regularly, eat well. I now am researching the bio identical hormones as well to see if they would be a better alternative after all of this time.