For a 81 yr old with high blood pressure ? what kind of anxiety pill for that age?

jk13 29 Jan 2011

Xanax should be good due to it's short half life. Generally my understanding is that doc's avoid the long half life meds due to age and a slower drug clearance. Klonopin and Valium would not be advised due to the long half life. You could also look into SSRI's as they are very useful in the treatment of anxiety, however I don't know the specifics as well as I do the benzos regarding the interaction of age and high blood pressure issues.

christineATU 30 Jan 2011

Hi jeff, I found some interesting info on xanax use among elderly patients. In clinical trials, the mean half-life was 16 hours among healthy elderly people compared to an average 11 hours among healthy adults. I would think at a very low dose it might be ok though, but their systems are more sensitive. I also copied the info below. Hope you are well and hanging in there.
chris

Geriatric Use
The elderly may be more sensitive to the effects of benzodiazepines. They exhibit higher plasma Alprazolam concentrations due to reduced clearance of the drug as compared with a younger population receiving the same doses. The smallest effective dose of Alprazolam should be used in the elderly to preclude the development of ataxia and oversedation (see CLINICAL PHARMACOLOGY and DOSAGE AND ADMINISTRATION).

jk13 30 Jan 2011

That's some great additional info - thank!

rk76 30 Jan 2011

Thanks for the info!!