I've been taking fluvoxamine for a month for "pure O" OCD. It's been somewhat effective, but has massively disrupted my sleep pattern; at times I can't get to sleep at all, but more often it has a sedating effect (for example, sleeping on public transport, which had previously been very unusual for me) that has increased since I went from 50mg to 100mg. Yesterday I was in and out of sleep all day. Is heavy sedation normal with this drug, and does it normally last a long time or taper off soon?

I would like to switch to fluoxetine (Prozac), but my doctor is insistent that I remain on the current drug for at least another fortnight. She admitted that fluvoxamine had an higher "side effect profile" but hadn't said so when I was choosing between the two drugs, which is quite frustrating. I don't want to get into a bad sleep pattern, because it can be difficult to snap out of, and I don't want to stay on a drug if there's a better alternative.