My doctor told me that it's now okay to first start taking your birth control pills whenever you want, you don't have to wait for your period or the sunday afterwards. After a second opinion and some personal research I learned this is indeed true. So I started taking them the first Sunday after I received my prescription.

What I didn't think about is now, just into my third week of active pills, I've started my period. It's on schedule, started right about the time it usually does every month. It's a little bit lighter, and there's more cramps, but otherwise it's the same as always.

What I'm wondering is, what happens now on my week of placebo pills? Will I have ANOTHER period? Will it be safe for me and boyfriend to have sex without a condom? (STDs aren't an issue, we both got tested before I went on the pill)

Mostly I just want to know the science behind this, and if I should go out and buy some condoms for that week. I have been on schedule with every pill so far. The pill in question is Sprintec, if that helps anyone.