I have read different things on different websites. Am I protected a couple days after I begin taking Mononessa, or a week, or a month?
The manufacturers say that you are protected after seven consecutive days of active pills. Most healthcare providers prefer that you wait a full cycle (so a full pack or month) just to be certain that you are protected. Birth control pills (BCP or the Pill) are meant to suppress ovulation. If no egg is released then there can be no baby no matter how many sperm are present. Most women dont know for sure when they ovulate. If you start your pill on Day 1 or the very first day that your period starts then you should not ovulate that month and should be protected after seven days of active pills. If you prefer to be extra safe, wait for a full cycle before having sex without barrier protection, like condoms, but remember, if you miss a pill, it can increase the chance of getting pregnant. If you always use a condom with the Pill, you are very well protected even if you forget a Pill. The Pill doesnt protect you against STD's. You need barrier protection to prevent getting an STD. Condoms, after the first seven days of being on the Pill, are more for STD protection than for contraception (the Pill is your contraceptive by this point) so if you want protection against STD's then condoms must be used. If you are certain your partner is STD free then you can forego the condoms after seven days on the Pill or you can wait until a full cycle ha passed. It is your choice on how much you want to chance. No form of birth control is 100% effective other than abstinence (or not having sex). The Pill, when taken correctly and perfectly meaning every day at roughly the same time of day is about 99% or better effective. Average use is about 96-98% effective. Condoms alone are about 80% effective. Using nothing or using withdrawal (withdrawing the penis prior to ejaculation) is about 20% chance of not getting pregnant and 80% chance of getting pregnant. Pregnancy seems to happen when you DONT want it to. Withdrawing the penis before ejaculation is NOT a good form of birth control, in spite of popular beliefs. So if you would miss a pill, dont rely on withdrawal to keep you from pregnancy, a condom must be used. Men can secrete sperm all through the sex act, not just at ejaculation. They cannot feel or control this secretion. Even if they dont see any fluid when they masturbate doesnt mean that they dont secrete sperm during sex. Granted, it is less than they secrete during ejaculation but it only takes one sperm to get you pregnant when an egg is present for fertilization. During regular use of the Pill, you wont ovulate, but if you miss a pill, or especially if you miss two or more Pills, there is a greater chance your body could release an egg for fertilization and if an egg is fertilized you can become pregnant. Another thing that decreases the effectiveness of the Pill is antibiotic therapy. If you are on antibiotics, you need to use back up barrier protection, like condoms, for the entire time you are on the Pill and for seven days after you finish them. One of the biggest factors for Pill failure is missed Pills, taking the Pill at erratic times (the Pill is most effective when taken at roughly the same time of day so an hour either way of your regular time is best, for instance, you pick 5pm for the time you will take your pill, you are "on time" if you take it anywhere between 4pm and 6pm) and not using back up after missed pills or during antibiotic therapy.
- Mononessa Information for Consumers
- Mononessa Information for Healthcare Professionals (includes dosage details)
- Side Effects of Mononessa (detailed)
Search for questions
Still looking for answers? Try searching for what you seek or ask your own question.
Posted 23 Sep 2012 • 2 answers
Posted 8 Apr 2013 • 1 answer
Posted 15 Mar 2015 • 2 answers
Posted 24 May 2015 • 1 answer
Posted 12 Oct 2016 • 0 answers