Hello everyone, this will be my first post/question. I feel a little background information may be relevant to my situation. I am a 19 year old male. I was diagnosed with epilepsy in 6th grade when I began having grand mal seizures. I was unable to control the seizures completely with anticonvulsant medication, so just before my senior year of high school ( almost 3 years now) I underwent brain surgery to remove the tumor in the front right lobe of my brain that was causing them. I have been seizure free since, but retain some seizure activity and I still take my seizure medication as a precautionary measure (although I have taken it upon myself to lower the dose to minimize the side effects I have experienced). I developed quite severe insomnia approximately 18 months ago when my depression reached its climax. I requested my doctor prescribe me sleeping medication... and he did readily. I tried several (ambien, remeron) but ultimately ended up with clonazepam. I never intended to take them for an extended period of time but they just became too convenient and effective, so I continued to take it. I am somewhat upset that my doctor did not hesitate to prescribe me more medication or at least warn me of the side effects of long term benzodiazepine use. I have been taking 1 mg of clonazepam for over a year now and the cognitive deficits and the complete absence of my personality have become too much to bear. I intend to return to school this fall, but cannot while dealing with these problems. My sleep specialist gave me a program to follow that is quite extensive and will take 4 months if followed exactly. Obviously, I am eager to get off of the medication as soon as possible. I began the taper yesterday, cutting my dosage in half. I am simultaneously reducing my dosage of trazodone (150, now taking 75 for the next two weeks, so on). I know the process is extensive for a reason, and many of you are probably already thinking my doctor is insane for cutting my dosage in half so abruptly. Well, somehow I managed to obtain a full nights rest last night on half the dose of both medications and today I actually felt extremely well. My question is this... can I expedite this taper if my withdrawal symptoms are minimal? I do not see any reason to make it take any longer than it needs to. I have a follow up with my sleep specialist in 6 weeks but would like to get some input from the drugs.com community. Thanks!

I would also like to add that I did start taking my normal dosage of trileptal to prevent any seizures.