I'm on the 50 mcg patch every 72 hours and I was wondering if anyone has ever tried to make a patch last longer than that? Would taking it off at night time work to make it last longer? I'm asking because I've had problems with losing them, even though I tape them to my arm and I don't want to ask my doctor for an extra one because I don't want him to think I'm abusing my meds
Fentanyl - has anyone tried to make a patch last longer?
- 5 Apr 2011 by Mellybelly
- 25 April 2017
I've tried just about everything. I'm having a horrible time trying to keep my patch on one night and 2 full days. My husband said to me (and I'm shocked), that's ridiculous! I didn't know how to respond to that, because it's a patch! What could I be doing with patches... selling them?? Oh, it made me mad. My body is just riddled with pain and he knows that... I'm also on Fentora (cancer pain med that dissolves in mouth). I have severe swallowing issues, no esophagus. I really need these darn patches to stick, but I'm having a real tough time. I already have problems with adhesives and on top of that I've been having horrible night sweats and/or fevers from aspirating. I'm wondering if I could place the patch on my arm/thigh and wrap it with some 'sticky' gauze? I know it's not the rx'd placement, but I just don't know what to do. Sorry you're having trouble too! I wish I had an answer.
I was using the tegrederm covers, but my skin got so irritated to the point of bleeding, not to mention I can barely afford the meds, let alone special covers that are extremely $$$.
I have been on 50mg fent patches for 9 year I had patch's that would premature on me.and come off like all you guys.to make them last longer i find that when you shave that area before you apply the patch and or during the 72 hours drink sweet juice this will stimulate the opiates.And for horrible withdraws solution best thing to take is Buprenorphine tablets works awesome.
As far as prepping the site for the patch, after 3 months, this works for me. Whether in the shower or not:
1. Soap and scrub area of chouce with a regular green scouring pad. Scrub well. It may hurt a bit, but you know once the patch kicks in - it won't be a worry :)
2. Rinse area really well with water, dry thourouly, then wipe area with alcohol, dry it off, and rinse well with water again and dry thouroughly again. Let air dry for 5 min.
3. Make sure your skin is good and warm. Take apart tegaderm package until you have the covering sticky side up.
4. Take Fent patch and remove covering, and the carefully place it sticky side up on top of tegaderm.
5. Pick up the fail proof system and place it on the area. Press on area for a good minute or so, then remove the outside border, and press down again for a minute or so.
Works great for me, and will stay in place solidly for more tha 72 hrs.
Some times I make it through the whole 72 hrs (not sure why), but I am prescribed at 48 hrs. Very knowledgeable dr., and after 8 years we have a trust bond that has helped make it through this fentanyl transition.
Good luck you all, you'll get thère!
- Fentanyl Information for Consumers
- Fentanyl Information for Healthcare Professionals (includes dosage details)
- Side Effects of Fentanyl (detailed)
Search for questions
Still looking for answers? Try searching for what you seek or ask your own question.
Updated 27 Mar 2017 • 2 answers
Updated 7 Mar 2017 • 6 answers
AATN: Mylan Fentanyl patch users... If your having a hard time getting your fentanyl patch to stick?
Updated 23 Oct 2018 • 9 answers
Updated 18 Mar 2018 • 3 answers
Updated 17 Sep 2018 • 4 answers