I feel like I am going to jump out of my skin. Could this be an Abilify side effect?

slattery 25 Mar 2012

That's unusual Lisa... I never did see that cited on the literature as a possible side effect. In fact, for the duration of time I was taking abilify, it had quite the opposite impact on me - it slowed me down, gave me a more tranquil or sedated feeling, and the sensation that nothing phased me. But no, I never felt jumpy or speeded up.
Just a very stupid question here though... is it possible that you have too much CAFFEINE in your system? Would you be drinking too much coffee, tea, soda's which are not caffeine-free? Believe it or not, there is a RADICAL amount of caffeine in soda, which can get you all hyper and jittery. I sort of have a problem quitting the tea and coffee, and yes they do give me an edgy feeling when consumed to excess.
Of course, with side effects cited in literature accompanying various drugs, it is ALWAYS possible that YOU have something transpire with you which is not listed as a side effect. The reason for that being that generally most people don't report their negative experiences to the FDA, plus from then manufacturer's point of view, your side effect is statistically so small as to render it negligible in mentioning in the reading material. So what you are reporting here - your suspicion that it could be the abilify, may indeed be valid.
But rather than jump to that conclusion, I would first consider other possibilities, like things you are putting into your system... caffeine, or possibly another drug combined with abilify which perhaps might cause you to get that sensation. Good luck with your research! Kathleen

Anonymous 25 Mar 2012

Yes, I agree, & even Excedrin has a lot of caffeine in it is why it wokrs for headaches so well. So does chocolate. Read labels, & see what you are ingesting... Mary

DzooBaby 26 Mar 2012

Yes indeed! Some of the most common side effects are anxiety and restlessness. Here is a copy from the literature:

The most common adverse reactions in adult patients in clinical trials ( ≥ 10%) were nausea, vomiting, constipation, headache, dizziness, akathisia, anxiety, insomnia, and restlessness.

So at least 10% or more people had restlessness and anxiety feelings when taking this drug. Talk to your Dr and see what your options are.

kalgsto 2 Dec 2014

Yep, I'm having the same thing right now. Not pleasant! It's very different from caffeine jitters.