Meaning... how does the tetrahydrolone hydrochloride actually change after the eye drops expire? Does it remain toxic\harmful to people if accidentally injested? Would it increase, decrease, or eventually become nontoxic?
The best person to ask this question of is your pharmacist. You can call them-you dont have to go in. Just call up and ask to speak to the pharmacist. This is his area of expertise. From what I know about most eye drops is that it is the preservative that fails at expiration date which could allow bacteria to grow and the drops become contaminated and can infect your eye if you use them after expiration. You wouldnt want to ingest drops. Ingesting is taking them within like swallowing. Are you speaking of someone ingesting them, like a child? Or do you mean "instilling" or putting them into eyes? Nausea, vomiting, lethargy, tachycardia, decreased respiration, bradycardia, hypotension, hypertension, sedation, somnolence, mydriasis, stupor, hypothermia, drooling, and coma have occurred when a child ingests (swallows/drinks) these eyedrops. Ingestion of only a small amount (1-2 mL; for reference, there are 5 mL in a teaspoon) of the eye drops or nasal spray can lead to serious adverse events in young children. This is anytime, not just once expired.
Search for questions
Still looking for answers? Try searching for what you seek or ask your own question.
Updated 2 Jun 2013 • 1 answer
Updated 18 Jun 2013 • 3 answers
Updated 28 Jan 2016 • 1 answer
Updated 7 Jun 2017 • 1 answer
Updated 6 Aug 2018 • 1 answer