Escitalopram - Is it best to take in the morning or at bedtime ?

Christamarina 16 May 2016

Hi Pupulenui! My doctor wanted me to start with taking it at night before I went to sleep, because "normally" escitalopram makes one sleepy. I found that this medication did the opposite for me, so she switched the time, and I started taking it when I wake up. I continue to take it first thing when I wake up. The bottom line is that we all respond to each med differently, so your doctor will help determine the best time for you and your schedule. I hope escitalopram helps you. It has been a great med for me. I pretty much have no side effects whatsoever. Good Luck! Take Care! Christamarina

Pupulenui 16 May 2016

Thank you for the comments ... I will try taking it both times ... I do need help with sleep ...

WildcatVet 16 May 2016

Hi, pupulenui! As Christamarina says the best time to take escitalopram is the time that best suits you ~ morning or evening doesn't matter. It makes some people drowsy and gives some people sleeplessness so your best bet is a little trial and error to determine what is best for you.
Best wishes, Wildcat

Pupulenui 16 May 2016

I appreciate the help

georgie58 16 May 2016

Thank you all for your comments. I'm going to try mine at night.

thecatsout 16 May 2016

I have been taking escitolapram a few months now. Initially I started taking it at night but found that I'm not the drowsy type. This stuff wakes me up. So for a few days I started to decreasing the time to see what time works best for me. I take mine at around 11am. Our bodies vary so much about what effects us and how it effects us. I'm still on 10mg. Having read so many horror stories I was hesitant at all to try it. Figure out what works best for you. Know you will have an adjustment period. It's normal. If it doesn't seem right, talk to a doctor. Good luck. I hope you get to feeling better real soon.

Pupulenui 17 May 2016

I agree, was hesitant about trying it... So far just on it 2 weeks.
Thanks for encouragement :)