Electroconvulsive Therapy - Has anyone had a good outcome with ECT?

KristiLeigh 15 Aug 2016

Good Morning,

I have NOT had ECT but I did have Electromagnetic Therapy. EMT is a newer treatment for depression. I found that it worked quite well and it appeared that the other patients were reporting similar results. It is something worth looking into if EMT would be an option for you. Best of luck.

Suchapunim 7 Mar 2017

I have had 2 treatments so l couldn't tell you. Your post is from 2016 so maybe you could tell me of any improvements. I have terrible panic with mine. Anyone else panicky with ECT?

ruth7155 7 Aug 2018

Yes! I did. I had 5 treatments in February and I quit mainly because of the terrible headaches I got from them. I would have a panic attack before each one I had. They didn't seem to care either. They wanted me to have 12 treatments but at the 5th one I told them I would not be back!
Ruth

ruth7155 7 Aug 2018

Ruth

Inactive 6 Aug 2018

ECT can be scary as it might cause seizures. Have you tried TMS at all? It's also a brain stimulation procedure, but have much lesser side effects than ECT.

Georgia404 9 Aug 2018

I realize your question is several years old but I am 42 yrs old and have struggled with depression on and off since adolescence. I completed my intensive ECT about 4 months ago. The headaches WERE brutal but overall my experience was wonderful. The staff was amazing and I felt like 30 years of baggage literally disappeared. That state of almost euphoria has dissipated but I am FAR better off than I was prior to ECT. It is not perfect by any means but I can honestly say that it saved my life

etuleja 13 days ago

My son has had nothing less than a miracle with ect for bipolar. After 10 years of different medications and their side effects, going on and off because of this, he decided to try ect. He did have headaches but it brought him right down from the mania and he said he has not been this clear thinking in ten years. He is still struggling with the other side, depression and they are adding lamictal for this. Overall a great treatment the hospitals are using more and more. there is some short term memory loss around the ect treatment but who wants to remember that anyway he says. I hope this helps someone else.