How does Effexor help with menopause? sounds like a scarry drug?

suzanne66 23 Mar 2012

Effexor helps to reduce some of the symptoms of menopause such as night sweats and hot flashes.
Because the cause of hot flashes (and how they occur) is not yet clearly understood the way Effexor works is not clear either.
Effexor belongs to a class of drugs called SNRI's (serotonin noradrenaline re-uptake inhibitors) SNRI's block the absorption (reuptake) of the neurotransmitters serotonin and norepinephrine in the brain.
One theory is that a decrease in estrogen during menopause may disrupt the balance of serotonin, a neurotransmitter in our brains. Serotonin may be involved in regulating temperature, and this disruption reportedly causes confusion between what the brain registers and what is actually occurring in the body.

Anonymous 23 Mar 2012

I guess Suzanne knows more about why they use Effexor than I do, but I would guess that you are getting depressed while going through menopause. Regardless, any drug can be scary if you are not using them for the right reasons. You are using effexor for the right reason if your doctor prescribed it to you. The scariest thing about effexor is getting off of it, but if you go slowly, (and I do mean slowly, like little bits every two weeks), you will have no problem. Good luck!!