I was prescribed tramadol around '01 for back pain. Started out getting only 40 (50mg) a month, and gradually increased over the years. It was described as a "non narcotic, non habit forming" drug that was relatively safe. I was impressed with it right off, as it not only helped with pain, it improved my mood as well.

Fast forward to somewhere around 2010-2012, the first time I tried to stop. A few years previous, the doc put me at 240/mo (8x50mg a day). It was somewhere in this time range I was tired of being a slave to this medicine. All the posts you have read about people going through complete hell, well that was me, with insomnia and restless leg (and arm) being the worse. Having RLS in your arms is actually worse than in your legs, imo. Very brutal. I slammed my forearm so hard against a wall one night I thought I broke it.

That experience has repeated several times over the years, which brings us to this past week. I figured it was time for another go at it, with Memorial Day approaching, and a scrip for Oxy 10mg to help. I've had the Oxy in the past, along with gabapentin 100 and 300 mg, but the insomnia and RLS prove to be too much. On the first day, I as able to cut down 1 or 2 pills (I've been taking anywhere from 12-15 for a while now). Sleep and RLS was a considerable problem. Day 2, down to 10, with pretty much the same results. Day 3 is where it starts to get interesting, I reduce it to 5, with side effects being much less extreme.

From that day on, I have only been taking 1 or 2 tram a day, and sleeping relatively peaceful at night. I still feel somewhat crappy during the day, but nothing like I was expecting. I realize I have had the Oxy for help, but I've been getting them for a couple of years now, and only 40 every month or so.

I can't emphasize strongly enough how horrible the w/d symptoms have been in the past. I guess my reason for posting this is to see if anyone has experienced this. My other concern is if this is "the calm before the storm". I ultimately do not want to discontinue the Tram, it does seem to do its job. I just didn't like the feeling of being a slave to a medicine, and wanted to prove to myself that I could do it. Thanks in advance for any info I may get on this.