Why would Dyazide be prescribed for a hypothyroid condition?

mfpdfibro 16 May 2012

Dyazide is a diuretic to help your body stop retaining water. I have just been diagnosed with Hypothyroid and prior to that my feet, face and upper stomach area was swollen with water. I was obviously retaining water due to the hypothyroidism. It is a side effect of the condition. If you have been given a synthetic thyroid medication the water should start to dissipate on its own, but if it doesn't then you should continue to take your Dyazide. The reason that retaining water is bad is that you could retain it around your heart causing hypertension or high blood pressure. I hope that helps answer your question.

Anonymous 16 May 2012

Are you retaining water? Has your blood pressure gone up? Those are the two reasons why you would be prescribed HZT. If you don't have either one of those conditions, I suggest that you call your doctor and ask. Otherwise, I answered your question. :-)