Are Drs able to prescribe Tramadol as an anti anxiety/depression medication?

chuck1957 22 Feb 2016

Smilecat; This is most common for pain, But it does have SSRI type use's I have no idea why a doctor would prescribe this rather than just go with a better and different ssri because that part does not always work for everyone. If it was my doctor I would not take it because people seem to have a much harder time getting off of this. I would find a new doctor. chuck1957

WildcatVet 22 Feb 2016

I agree with Chuck. While a doctor could within reason prescribe just about anything off-label, Tramadol is a pain-killer used in the management of moderate to severe pain and withdrawal from it can be a real b... bear.

Delila 23 Feb 2016

Hi, in the UK (where i live), to my knowledge dr's do not prescribe Tramadol in replacement of on label SSRI's. I can understand the theory & i'm sure in some cases it would be successful. My main concern is the rate of misuse, addiction, and dependency, and the fact that in a high number of cases, it is extremely difficult to discontinue, with ugly withdrawal symptoms