If u drink to much water can it kill u how much should u drink a day please tell me
Water intoxication (also known as hyper-hydration or water poisoning) is a potentially fatal disturbance in brain functions that results when the normal balance of electrolytes in the body is pushed outside of safe limits by over-consumption of water.
Normal, healthy (physically, nutritionally and mentally) individuals have little reason to worry about accidentally consuming too much water. Nearly all deaths related to water intoxication in normal individuals have resulted either from water drinking contests, in which individuals attempt to consume large amounts of water, or long bouts of intensive exercise during which electrolytes are not properly replenished, yet excessive amounts of fluid are still consumed.
Water can be considered a poison when over-consumed just like any other substance. The recommendation from the medical field is to drink at least 1 - 2 liters per day depending upon body mass. Water intoxication would only occur at levels far higher than that.
Search for questions
Still looking for answers? Try searching for what you seek or ask your own question.
Can iodine solution be used to kill bacteria in drinking water ? what would be recommnended use for?
Posted 22 Oct 2009 • 2 answers
Posted 23 Feb 2010 • 1 answer
Posted 11 Aug 2011 • 1 answer
Posted 26 Oct 2011 • 1 answer
Posted 13 Jan 2016 • 0 answers