My dr has just prescribed nortriptyline for prevention of migraines, will it help?

thfallon 29 Apr 2015

It depends solely on the person and how well your body accepts the drug. Nortriptyline is most often prescribed as an anti-depressant medication, however, also prescribed for those of us who suffer with migraines. Depending on the dose and how your body reacts to the drug, yes it could certainly help to prevent daily migraines but there is no cure for migraine. Follow the directions as prescribed. You have likely been told to gradually increase over a 4-week period. It helped me initially many years ago, but then my body became acclimated with the drug. Like all the drugs I have used, this one stopped working for me after 200mg. Good luck.

sdaysin 29 Apr 2015

Right, just like thfallon says. It works not for everyone and may acclimate to your body quick or not. It has a greater than 50% chance of working, in my opinion.