What else can be done to get rid of my dads knee pain exrays and mri's show nothing?

Windchimes123 5 Jul 2016

Hi Pauline,
You are a good daughter !
If he injured his knee, the comments may be entirely different based on the cause.
It's unusual to see "nothing" in a MRI. His age, weight, health history, activity level and medication would be helpful to know so I'm kind of winging it.
If he sits behind a desk all day he may be overweight. The weight of the body is supported by the feet and knees. Obviously, the answer is to get in shape and lose pounds. Also, strengthening the thigh muscles would be helpful by taking the burden off them. He probably would have arthritic changes on the MRI. NSAIDS (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) like Aleve, Ibuprophen would be helpful.
Look up on the internet knee exercises. It's important to keep the joints moving but at a paced rate. Doing exercises too quickly may cause damage.
Heating pads (if no injury for previous 24 hours).
Elevate when he gets a chance but not to interfere with exercise. Did you hear the expression, "Use it or loose it" applies to knees.
See if he can go to physical therapy.
If his joint feels unstable to him, try an ace wrap or brace temporarily.
I wish I knew what the doctor's told him. I'm just giving you "comfort measures".
TENS units may provide relief through conduction of electrical stimuli with electrodes and a small unit. This requires a prescription.
I took a necessary med that affected joints, especially knees. It is a fairly common adverse reaction of some meds. However, his doctor knew what he's taking so it's probably not an issue.
Rheumatologists and orthopedist specialize in knee pain. He probably was seen by one since he had an MRI.
I had steroid injections a few times. They work for awhile.
The best treatment that I received was a drug called Synovisc (not sure I have the correct spelling). The drug mimics the synovial fluid that encapsulates the knee and helps it moving smoothly. This will only be done if the x-rays indicate arthritic changes. Mine was bordering on a total knee replacement.
I think it can be done every 6 months but eventually loses its effectiveness. It allows you time to prepare yourself for surgery.
I did it in combination with physical therapy and my knees felt like they were 20 years younger! Now it is 8 months later and starting to flair up again.
I'm writing this for other people too because it's aggravating and requires a change in life-style.
Without having any abnormal findings I think NSAIDS, rest with gradual knee exercises and heat would probably suffice.
Now if it's the result of an injury then the doctor needs to guide you.
Good luck and keep taking care of your Daddy!