Does yasmin cause birth defects if you plan to get pregnant in the future?

puckiemull 3 Jun 2011

Hi huny
I've taken yasmin a number of times years ago for birth control and also to control my period. I now have a healthy 2and a half year old son,he's perfectly healthy,i have been on many bc over the years due to bad periods but also because i wasnt ready for a baby,but when i did get pregnant,the previous bc i took had no after effect on me or the baby.Thats "me"personally.
Is there a reason why you ask??

huny 4 Jun 2011

hey puckiemull thanks for the response. i have been on the pill for 5yrs now and i would like to come of it and start a family but that was a major concern .

puckiemull 5 Jun 2011

Your welcome huny,
Just stop your pill and wait til you get a real period then start trying.I got pregnant by accicent with my son,while taking the pill and did'nt know but he still turned out fine.
Its obviously best if you do discontinue taking the pill before you start trying.
Best of luck to you and your plans

LaurieShay 3 Jun 2011

Hey huny,

If you were to continue taking Yasmin while pregnant then there might be a problem. Yasmin is in pregnancy category X which carries the following warning:

Studies in animals or humans have demonstrated fetal abnormalities and/or there is positive evidence of human fetal risk based on adverse reaction data from investigational or marketing experience, and the risks involved in use of the drug in pregnant women clearly outweigh potential benefits.

So it is recommended that you stop taking the Yasmin before becoming pregnant. If you would happen to become pregnant while still taking the Yasmin, which is not very likely, you would need to discontinue promptly to avoid any potential problem.

Best wishes,

Laurie

huny 4 Jun 2011

thanks laurieshay