Does Voltaren Gel treat symptoms only without having any "healing" properties?

Marvell 19 Aug 2009

Voltaren Gel (diclofenac) is in a group of drugs called nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs). Voltaren works by reducing hormones that cause inflammation and pain in the body.

Voltaren Gel treats the symptoms of pain and helps reduce inflammation, so I would say that it treats the symptoms and heals.

https://www.drugs.com/voltaren-gel.html

jaleely 10 Jul 2011

I think this person means... is there any kind of anti-biotic or at least soothing or numbing agent in the gel itself, besides just the medication. For instance I noted that it didn't seem to create a softer skin state, so I assume there are no skin softening agents in the formula. I too wondered if there were topical healing agents present... not just the pain killing,people which here seems to mean healing to some people.

Chiromachine 8 Jan 2017

NSAID's have been shown in research to delay healing of both soft tissue and bone injuries. I'm not certain from where the claim to speed healing comes. It reduces pain primarily by decreasing inflammation, which may prove useful if there is no expectarion of healing to occur but control of pain is necessary. Inflammation is an essential component of healing and technically you want to avoid it's suppression if you want to speed healing.