Does sumatriptan have any contraindication in heart diseases?

Rajive Goel 21 Oct 2010

Sumatriptan has been reported to increase the risk of a heart attack or a life-threatening change in a person's heart rhythm (arrhythmia). You should not take sumatriptan if you have heart disease or a history of a heart attack, stroke, or transient ischemic attack (TIA or "mini-stroke").

If you have risk factors for heart disease (see Heart Disease Risk Factors), it is also strongly recommended that you take your first dose of sumatriptan in your healthcare provider's office. This way, your healthcare provider can monitor your heart.

In some cases, a stroke or transient ischemic attack can be misdiagnosed as a migraine. Before prescribing sumatriptan, your healthcare provider should make sure you are not having a stroke, especially if you have never had migraines in the past.

However, for more details please talk to the doc/pharmacist who prescribed the med, take care, be well & safe.

Pat621 23 Oct 2010

I have had Migraines for many years and I also have CHF and 2 bad heart valves. Neither my Primary Care doctor or Cardiologist will prescribe sumitriptans. Sumitriptans can narrow your Arteries and Blood Vessels and this could be dangerous for someone with heart disease.