Does Lyrica thin the blood like Cymbalta does?

litlmommag 17 Sep 2011

I take cymbalta and lyrica i wish i could answer this question wish i could but i hpe yu d fing the info u need there are alot f loving peple here someone will find it good luck and gd health to you litlmommag

LaurieShay 17 Sep 2011

Hey loi,

Based on the literature, during clinical trials "Lyrica treatment was associated with a decrease in platelet count. Lyrica was not associated with an increase in bleeding-related adverse reactions." So in regard to thinning, it is possible for Lyrica to decrease the platlets that help to clot the blood but not to the extent of causing an increase in bleeding-related adverse reactions.

Cymbalta has also been associated with anticoagulation or blood thinning, if you will. I'm not positive of the exact mechanism for cymbalta whether it effects the platelets or the plasma proteins that are involved in clotting, but none the less both of these medicines can affect blood clotting.

To answer your question, I would have to say no, that lyrica does not cause the same extent of adverse bleeding that has been associated with some of the antidepressants such as cymbalta.

Best wishes,

Laurie