Does ER Exalgo need time to build up to have an effect on pain levels?

christineATU 12 Oct 2010

Yes. It needs to slowly build up in your system. Here is some information about dosing. If you click on the link you will find more information.

"Individualization of Dosage"

Once therapy is initiated, assess pain relief and other opioid adverse reactions frequently.

Titrate patients to adequate analgesia with dose increases not more often than every 3 to 4 days, in order to attain steady-state plasma concentrations of hydromorphone at each dose.

As a guideline, consider dosage increases of 25% to 50% of the current daily dose of Exalgo for each titration step.

If more than two doses of rescue medication are needed within a 24 hour period for two consecutive days, the dose of Exalgo may need to be titrated upward.

Administer Exalgo no more frequently than every 24 hours

Read more: https://www.drugs.com/pro/exalgo.html#ixzz12AEsXYrx

cleveland girl 12 Oct 2010

Thank you Christine! I just couldn't find anywhere if I was supposed to wait or if I should give up on it.