Does drinkiing wine while taking coumadin have an adverse affect on your liver?

itsmetoo2 8 Mar 2010

This is what I found on the net about your question:

"There is a known interaction between Coumadin and alcohol. Alcohol intake can affect the medication in various ways. A consistent, moderate intake (such as one drink per day) is usually okay for most people. However, binge drinking or even "saving up" your daily drinks for the weekend can increase the risk of bleeding -- including dangerous internal bleeding. Chronic, significant alcohol use, such as with alcoholism, can have the opposite effect, making Coumadin less effective by increasing the risk of blood clots, while at the same time increasing the risk of gastrointestinal bleeding. Be sure to talk with your healthcare provider about an alcohol intake that is safe and acceptable to you."

https://www.drugs.com/food-interactions/warfarin,coumadin.html

nkelto 8 Mar 2010

I have taken coumadin since July 2005 and I remember a few years ago on New Year's Eve I drank two beers, tested my blood the next day, and it was almost a full point above range. I stay away from alcohol entirely because it's not worth the risk.