Does apotex or ethex carry a generic of oxycontin 80 mg and what do they look like?

terilyn54 10 Nov 2010

The manufacturer of the old style Oxycontin, Purdue Pharm, acquired Ethex Manufacturers to distribute the OC's for them. It's being marketed in generic form as Oxycodone ER in 80 mg & 40 mg only, but unfortunately only Walgreens is carrying this brand name. Let me warn you though, pretty much every pharmacy is very hesitant to give any information what so ever concerning Schedule II medications over the phone, unless they know you due to the rash of daytime robberies not too long ago looking for, you got it, Oxycontin!! There's one more company that distributes the 20 mg only, called Apotex. As far as I know once again, Walgreens only carries this. You must completely trust & believe me when I tell you, IT REALLY IS EXACTLY THE SAME MEDICATION. It's says OC on one side & 80 on the other, is the same exact color & same size. It will begin to melt in your mouth, if for some reason you can't swallow it immediately, so that alone tells me they ARE NOT the OP's. The OP's gave me horrible stomach pains with worsened constipation. Worse of all (I'll swear on a mountain of Bibles, too!!) those darn things passed completely through my intestinal tract & on out completely whole, without dissolving at all. Now you tell me, how can a medication perform its duty if it can't break apart to let the chemicals do what they're suppose to do? Recently I read they've discovered yet another dangerous side effect from them. If you have a damaged liver, etc.,be careful because whatever they have used for the reformulation to make it abuse resistant, has the possibility of causing further or additional problems or damage.
I believe this is the longest response I've submitted since joining this valuable forum recently. This website has been so very helpful, supportive and been full of accurate knowledge on any question I've needed answers for. Thank you Drugs.com for being there for me.
I truly hope this give you the answers you seek & you're a little less stressed & the future looks a little bit more positive. Don't hesitate in letting me know if you need help with anything else...
Sincerely,
Terilyn54

Anonymous 8 Jan 2011

First off, I am really upset that Kaiser Permanente has limited a patient's supply of Oxycontin to a one month --90 tabs max. Our plan allows for a three month supply for all medications I have been getting a three month supply for years; yes I am a long time, documented, honest to goodness chronic pain sufferer. It now costs more money, and I have to track my good Doctor down on a monthly basis! The Kaiser Pharmacists say that they have to limit the amount to one month because of a shortage of opium coming out of Afghanistan --in other words they say our anti-drug campaign is too good. I do not believe this.

angelmeup 9 Mar 2011

I have taken oxycontin 80 mg from Perdue for more than 10 years. This new formula is NOT working at all. I have also spoken with several other chronic pain sufferer's who have had similar negative reactions to the "new formula". They simply do NOT work at all. I have read both of your comments, and I have noticed that the constipation has definately gotten worse besides getting absolutely NO relief from the pain. I was able to fill some of my rx with the generic oc 80 mg from apotex, and they helped me. So what gives? Why would the generics work, and the brands not? I have not ventured into the bowl to inspect my stool to see if the 80 mg op's are coming out whole, but that certainly would explain why i am not getting any relief from the pain, if they are not breaking down in my system, and they are coming out whole. My doctors hands are tied according to the new guidelines the doctors are being blackmailed into adhereing to, or face the consecquences.

wbaxter03 9 Apr 2011

There is another drug you can take its called Opana... They come in 20mg = 40mg OC, 30mg = 60mg OC, and a 40mg = 80mg OC... Well I have tried these drugs and they are almost like the Oxycotin, but they do work... I have been on the OC's for over 10 years ... I have been one of the first to be put on them in 1997, and the new ones OP's they don't work... I have to take more... and I have had to get shit off the street to kill my pain... But since I was told by a friend Dr. of mine, who told me about the Opana ER getting ready to come out, and since I have tried them now... I say that Perdu can kiss everybody's ass and change over... I can't beleave in the other country's were Perdu still make and send the real OC's to need to be in this country any longer... I know someone in Canada who gets the old Oxycontin 80mg OC... Who sends me some when he has extra, because he knows what I go thru with the MS I have to fight along with the pain...