My doctor prescribed me to take 1 - 40 mg a day as needed. Just wondering if I could take every day and still be ok.
Like any other med Omeprazole also do have side effects some could be common, some sever. Not all people who take the med feel the side effects.
Side Effects include, but are not limited to:
Depression, agitation, aggression, hallucinations, or confusion; Symptoms of an inflammation of the pancreas (pancreatitis), such as:
Nausea; Fever or chills; Extreme pain in the upper abdomen; A rapid heartbeat (tachycardia).
* Signs of liver damage, such as yellowing in the whites of the eyes or skin, dark urine, or upper abdominal pain (or stomach pain)
* Signs of an allergic reaction, including an unexplained rash, hives, itching, and unexplained swelling
* Broken bones (some studies suggest this or other similar medications may increase the risk of bone fractures
Most common Omeprazole side effects included:
* Headaches -- in up to 6.9 percent of people
* Abdominal pain (or stomach pain) -- up to 5.2 percent
* Diarrhea -- up to 3.7 percent
* Upper respiratory tract infections, such as the common cold -- up to 1.9 percent
* Dizziness -- up to 1.5 percent
* Constipation -- up to 1.1 percent
* Back pain -- up to 1.1 percent.
Rare side effects include, but are not limited to:
A loss of appetite; A dry mouth (see Prilosec and Dry Mouth); Weight gain (see Prilosec and Weight Gain), Muscle cramps; Joint pain; Insomnia; Drowsiness; Vertigo (a spinning sensation); Hair loss; Dry skin; Blurred vision; Tinnitus (ringing in the ears); Taste changes; Dry eyes; Urinary tract infections (UTI); Anemia.
However please seek medical advice for more accurate information, hope this helps?
- Omeprazole Information for Consumers
- Omeprazole Information for Healthcare Professionals (includes dosage details)
- Side Effects of Omeprazole (detailed)
Search for questions
Still looking for answers? Try searching for what you seek or ask your own question.
Posted 27 Dec 2009 • 1 answer
Posted 8 Nov 2011 • 3 answers
Posted 25 Feb 2013 • 2 answers
Omeprazole - Are there any long term side effects or later problems when given to a baby of 6months?
Posted 19 Aug 2014 • 1 answer
Posted 14 Feb 2016 • 0 answers