Does anyone have children with birth defects while father was taking Depakote?

Anonymous 3 Jul 2012

Hello Bugdude. Sorry, I went to several sources that I use and could not find a yes to your question. Very best of wishes to you and the family, pledge

phinney25 24 Sep 2012

i have a little girl that has a double cleff lip and an av canal defect its been awhile sence ive taken depakote
so i guessing im going to have the same question as you sorry if this isnt helpful

vpa 26 Aug 2017

Yes. My wife and I had three children. The first child had respiratory arrest as an infant and other issue. Second child was stillborn at 33 weeks term. Third child has permanent growth deficit, very small hands, born with hole in heart, severe dental issues, differing eye colors and other apparent FVS traits. Abbott found VPA (valproic acid) in human male semen in measurable amounts after a single 500 mg dose in a 1977 study. The FDA label has never disclosed VPA in human semen despite Abbott later labeling Depakene and Depakote as teratogens or causing birth defects in women becoming pregnant by their male partners. AbbVie denies responsibility.