Does anyone have any experience regarding pregnancy and continuing or stopping epilepsy meds?

DemoninDC 27 Mar 2012

You need to be more specific. What drugs are you referring to?

virginiamae 28 Mar 2012

keppra and vimpat

DemoninDC 29 Mar 2012

Both drugs are FDA pregnancy category C. This means that the drug should be given only if the potential benefit justifies the potential risk to the fetus. It is not known whether Vimpat will harm an unborn baby, but having a seizure during pregnancy could harm both mother and baby. Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant while using this medicine. Follow your doctor's instructions about taking Vimpat while you are pregnant. It is not known whether Vimpat passes into breast milk or if it could harm a nursing baby. Keppra (Levetiracetam) can pass into breast milk and may harm a nursing baby. You should not breast-feed while you are using Keppra. Extensive transfer of levetiracetam from mother to fetus has been reported. To provide information regarding the effects of in utero exposure to Keppra, physicians are advised to recommend that pregnant patients taking levetiracetam enroll in the North American Antiepileptic Drug (NAAED) Pregnancy Registry.

Tinybubbles 28 Mar 2012

Yes i had 2 boy in the 80's I was afraid that my meds would harm my children but all they did (depending on the meds you take is) make me have a few extra seisures. i never stopped taking my med.s both my children are fine. I have a grandson from my oldest and my youngest is in the navy. hope all goes well for you.

virginiamae 28 Mar 2012

Thank you SO MUCH for your encouraging answer! The only way we know what to expect is to talk to others who have gone through. My daughter is on keppra and vimpat and we are worried about birth defects id she stays on meds and seizures if she doesn't.