Do you think it would be ok to take adderall or similar meds for severe fatigue from RA?

Rajive Goel 7 May 2011

If I were you, I would talk to a doc before self medicating, please would recommend that you do speak with your doc/pharmacist.

Take care, be well & safe!

hope316 17 May 2011

Hi dubdog,

I don't have RA, but I do have chronic fatigue which got so bad that I couldn't really function during the day, and the only thing that has helped was being prescribed a stimulant (Adderall has worked the best, but I've also been on Ritalin, Vyvanse, and dexadrine) by my doctor. Technically, Provigil (though it is also a stimulant) is the only medication I'm aware of that is FDA approved for treatment of fatigue, but it didn't work at all for me.

Your doctor will have to be open to the idea of treating the fatigue directly with a stimulant, but if your fatigue is so severe that it is significantly interfering with your quality of life, then I would hope that they are willing to work with you to find something that helps!

I strongly recommend that you do not try and self-medicate - not only could it be dangerous to your health, it is illegal - particularly with controlled meds like Adderall...

Good luck and take care!

Hope316

ahotmess34 19 May 2011

Dubdog- I too have R-A and I also have Lupus.. I take adderall and yes yes yes it helps with my fatigue..I am only 35 so I want to feel as young as I look on the outside... lol
GOODLUCK