Is a dissociative drug considered a new class of drugs?
Just recently I was told by my general practitioner that I might benefit from a dissociative drug?
Would a dissociative drug be considered an antidepressant?
I have been on anti-depressants before such as Paxil, Zoloft and a couple of others that I can't recall at this time. However, never have I been told these medications are disassociative drugs.
In addition to speaking with a counselor once or twice a month it was recommended that I take Xanax/alprazolam 0.25mg twice a day for four weeks than if tolerated I am to increase to 0.25 mg of Xanax four times a day.
This prescription was prescribed by my doctor because therapy alone was not managing my uncontrollable boats of depression and mood swings. My moods would swing like a pendulum. One day I would be incredibly sad because of my chronic pain the next day I would be very mad for little to no reason other than my chronic pain was much worse than the day before.
Everything the doctor did during my appt made sense except when she called Xanax a dissociative drug.
Isn't Xanax used for anxiety therefore it would be considered an antidepressant?
Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated for I am really confused?
Thank you
p.s. Other than drowsiness are there any serious side effects when you mix Xanax with MS Contin? Thanks again!