Dilantin - Does anyone else experience gum disease and loss of teeth on this medication?

suzanne66 3 Apr 2012

Dilantin increases your risk of developing gum disease.
Gingival hyperplasia is a condition that causes the gums to grow, resulting in the appearance of smaller teeth and possible dental problems. It is a common effect that may be related to the size of the dose and is more common in children who take Dilantin. Problems associated with gingival hyperplasia may be minimized by regular dental care and good oral hygiene. This effect often resolves itself if Dilantin is discontinued.

Anonymous 16 May 2012

I had to have gum surgery when I was a teenager because of this medicine. My dentist thought I had leukemia then he found out what medicine I was taking and was relieved. If I'd have known it could cause that I would have never taken it! Gum surgery is painful!! A shot in the front and back of each tooth! I was wondering if I could sue the company for the pain and money it cost me! Good Luck!!!