What different reasons would CITALOPRAM be prescribed?

Cloch 29 Oct 2013

Depression and ocd mostly.

HeadStarter 2 Nov 2013

Citalopram (Celexa) is approved by the United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for the treatment of depression. It appears to be very effective in the treatment of panic disorder and is being evaluated for the treatment of obsessive-compulsive disorder, alcohol abuse, headache, post-traumatic stress disorder and premenstrual syndrome.

Do you have specific questions or concerns about this med?

Delila 3 Nov 2013

Hi, i've never heard of Citalopram being used for alcohol abuse, since if the 2 are taken together, the Citalopram efficacy is effectively void. Do you know anymore information about this? I'd be really interested to find out more...

HeadStarter 7 Nov 2013

Hi Delila... As far as it being used for alcohol abuse... I do not know. I copied that information so it is a "word for word" quote. But it only said it was being evaluated not that it is currently being prescribed. I would think it would be in addition to something else.

Mary