What is the difference in the chemical make up between kolinipin and Xanax ?

chrissy12 22 Mar 2013

Klonopin is a long acting benzo that acts longer throughout the day while xanax is a short, fast acting benzo that wears off faster.

I have been on both. I hope this helps.

mhelcl 22 Mar 2013

Xanax
Alprazolam (trade name Xanax, available among other generic names) is a short-acting anxiolytic of the benzodiazepine class of psychoactive drugs. Alprazolam, like other benzodiazepines, binds to specific sites on the GABAA gamma-amino-butyric acid receptor.
Alprazolam has a fast onset of action and symptomatic relief. Ninety percent of peak benefits are achieved within the first hour (although onset may begin at 8–25 minutes of ingestion) of using either preparation for panic disorder, and full peak benefits are achieved in 1.5 and 1.6 hours respectively.
Alprazolam is classed as a high-potency benzodiazepine and is a triazolobenzodiazepine,namely a benzodiazepine with a triazole ring attached to its structure.

ShadyShay 22 Mar 2013

Both are correct! Xanax is short acting and onset is typically very fast. I used to take Xanax when I was suffering from a full on panic attack. Clonopin lasts longer & also takes longer to set in. I'm trying to make the switch from Xanax to Clonopin, so that my anxiety will be managed throughout the day, & I won't have to be in a full blown panic attack, just to take a xanax. Hope this helped you out a bit!