What is difference between librium and xanax?

Psyched 15 Oct 2013

I'm not sure what you're looking for so I'll give you some basic facts on both; if you need to know something more specific, let me know.
Librium is a benzo that is used to treat moderate to severe anxiety issues and to help patients suffering from acute alcohol withdrawl symptoms. It depresses the central nervous system. It can cause drowsiness and it does not work well if the patient smokes while taking the medication. If taken while the patient is continuing to drink alcohol, it can make the person physically ill. Librium is used sparingly because it can be highly addictive. Also, it can have a paradoxical effect on a patient, meaning that it can cause some people to become more anxious/nervous than they were before starting the med.
Xanaxis a benzo tha is used to treat anxiety and panic disorders. It too works by depressing the central nervous system. Xanax causes drowsiness but it can cause a lot of other adverse reactions in some patients. It does not work well if the patients smokes or drinks alcohol while taking the med. It can also become addictive so patients have to be monitored closely. On a personal note, a former member of this forum/good on-line friend of mine, died to overuse of Xanax well after he stopped abusing it due to an enlarged heart so it bears to be cautious with this medication.
I hope this has helped answer your question.