What is the difference between absent seizures and focal seizures?

bestpup 18 Apr 2013

To aimster02. From bestpup.
Generally the difference between absent seizures and focal seizures is, first absent seizures usually begin between the age of 6 & 12. Sometimes it starts out as a child starring off (day dreaming) for no apparent reason. The subconsciousness takes over without the person being aware of there surroundings. Thankfully, the seizures only last a short time (approximately 5 to 10 minutes). Also, children who suffer from absent seizures tend to outgrow them.
Focal seizures take place in the frontal lobes of the brain. Focal seizures have a few more physical manifestations such as the inability to talk for awhile. This can last anywhere from 10 min to a hour. It's also possible to have a metallic taste in one's mouth. The physical manifestation I find most interesting is people who suffer from focal seizures often cry during a seizure. This is because your frontal lobes are responsible for emotions.
Neither, of these seizures cause long term unconscious or shaking/spasms.
Obviously, everyone who suffers from these seizures are not all going to have the same symptoms. These are just a few examples of what they may experience.
bestpup

Anonymous 18 Apr 2013

Great answer, I am impressed.

Have a great day bestpup.

masso.-

Mickey D 24 Apr 2013

1st I'd like to say ty aimster02 for that important question. 2nd bestpup I ty for the info,I began having seizures in 1989,all them where gran mal. Til 2009 and two nuero Drs later. seems that even now I began to notice that they changed, and thanks too the both of you that this will help me with a better explanation and of understanding. I can only say I'm in all hopes of yourself and all the others who have these seizures will soon end.