What's the difference between a 2mg alprozolam and 2mg of lorazapam?

mittykitty 22 Sep 2012

Alprozolam is the generic name for Xanax. Lorazepam is the generic name for Ativan. Xanax is a bit stronger and it reacts in the body much quicker than Ativan or Valium (diazepam). Xanax is said to be one of the most effective medications for acute anxiety/panic attacks. It is usually not prescribed as a daily anxiety med because tolerance to it is built up in the body quite quickly, and eventually won't work as well, not to mention the risk of addiction. Ativan works well for acute anxiety too, as well as longer and more general anxiety, but again is not as strong and also is generally not used for longer than 4 months at a time. The starting dose for Xanax (alprozolam) is usually .25 to .5mg, then if necessary taken up very slowly to an average of 1mg daily. With Ativan (lorazepam) the starting dose ranges from 2 to 6mg once daily. Please be careful with the alprozolam--it is much stronger and has a lot of potential for abuse and tolerance.

Anonymous 23 Sep 2012

I have taken both, alprazolam which is short acting, and lorazepam which is long acting.They both belong to the drug class of benzodiazepines. Alprazolam worked best for my anxiety and it acts faster. Lorazepam is stronger from my experience and it has a more calmer effect on me , due to my high tolerance to medications.

Alprazolam is used in the treatment of anxiety; depression; panic disorder; tinnitus; dysautonomia and belongs to the drug class benzodiazepines.

Read more at:

https://www.drugs.com/alprazolam.html

Lorazepam is used in the treatment of anxiety; insomnia; nausea/vomiting; sedation; panic disorder , and belongs to the drug classes benzodiazepine anticonvulsants, benzodiazepines, miscellaneous antiemetics.

https://www.drugs.com/lorazepam.html

Take care,

maso.-

endlessPred 23 Sep 2012

A 2mg alprazolam is a large dose. Usually it is given in .25, .5 up to 1.0mg. It has a half life of about 4 to 6 hours so is considered short acting. It does act fairly quickly.